Visual Merchandising One Month Course
In addition to the study of Window display, Visual Merchandising, Mannequin Styling and Store Layout principles, students will gain first hand practical industry insider knowledge and insight into the many different roles of today's Visual Merchandiser.
Sarah Manning has 20 years industry experience and now runs her own consultancy business working for a selection of London based retail and department stores, offering freelance services in visual merchandising training and consultancy.
Her work includes planning and installing in-store promotions, consulting on new fixtures and installations, and window design and dressing. A fully qualified lecturer with a PG Cert in Teaching & Learning for Higher Education at distinction level. Sarah has previously worked for Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Marks and Spencer, Liberty, Next and Selfridges.
Students will also cover
- Basic principles of window dressing and visual merchandising
- Store visual merchandising and product presentation methods
- Building and creating your own Window Designs using your choice of program / medium
- Current trends in the Retail Industry in London
- Catwalk trends
- Merchandise selection and accessories
- Customer flow and the importance of store layout
- Colour, POS and lighting
- Mannequin handling and styling
- Creating an effective Sale & Clearance campaign
- Working with mood boards
Teaching and learning methods
- Group discussions
- Practical workshops
- Field trips
- Research: Learning extends beyond the taught sessions. It is essential that students undertake independent fieldwork and self-directed study
- On successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Understand the role of the Visual Merchandiser and how Visual Merchandising is utilised within the areas of the retail industry.
- Understand how to create an impactful and inspirational window for your/the customer.
- Understand the importance of creating a linked hot spot / promotional space which is linked to your store window.
- Work with styling mannequins and bust forms.
- Understand the key Visual Merchandising techniques and how these can be implemented across the sales floor to assist with sales and increase profits.
- Understand the importance of carrying out regular customer flow exercises and how these can assist you in understanding if your current store layout is working for your customer.